Western North Carolina is a beautiful region with diverse landscapes, outdoor activities, and charming towns. Here are some of the best places to visit in Western NC:
6. Hendersonville: This charming town is known for its apple orchards, historic downtown, and the annual North Carolina Apple Festival.
7. Boone and Blowing Rock: Located in the High Country, these towns offer outdoor activities like hiking, skiing (in winter), and exploring the nearby Grandfather Mountain.
8. Linville Gorge and Linville Falls: Linville Gorge is often referred to as the "Grand Canyon of the East," offering rugged beauty and excellent hiking opportunities. Linville Falls is a stunning waterfall located in the area.
9. Mount Mitchell State Park: Climb to the summit of Mount Mitchell, the highest peak east of the Mississippi River, and enjoy panoramic views of the surrounding mountains.
10. Maggie Valley: This quaint town is an excellent base for exploring the Great Smoky Mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway.
11. Hot Springs: Relax in natural hot mineral springs in this small mountain town located along the Appalachian Trail.
12. Chimney Rock State Park: Marvel at the iconic Chimney Rock, hike scenic trails, and enjoy breathtaking views of Lake Lure and the Hickory Nut Gorge.
Asheville: Known for its vibrant arts scene, craft breweries, and stunning mountain scenery, Asheville is a must-visit destination. Explore the Biltmore Estate, visit the River Arts District, and enjoy the scenic Blue Ridge Parkway.
Great Smoky Mountains National Park: Straddling the border between North Carolina and Tennessee, this national park offers breathtaking views, hiking trails, and opportunities for wildlife spotting.
Blue Ridge Parkway: A scenic drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway offers incredible vistas, waterfalls, and overlooks. It's especially stunning during the fall when the foliage turns vibrant colors.
- Cherokee: Experience Native American culture at the Qualla Boundary, home to the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians. Visit the Museum of the Cherokee Indian and the Oconaluftee Indian Village.
- Brevard: Nestled in the mountains, Brevard is famous for its waterfalls and outdoor recreation. Don't miss visiting the nearby Pisgah National Forest and DuPont State Recreational Forest.